Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, January 11, 2010

The Beginning...


Is this even real? I'm still in a constant state of shock! I am grateful, amazed and totally blown away. I've dreamt of this a very long time! And God is so faithful!

How it all went down:
I had been experiencing some sore 'body parts' (that accompanies pregnancy) for about 2 months, and I finally went to the doctor and was diagnosed with a condition and given medication. I had taken it for 4 days and the meds hadn't touched the pain at all. I was also feeling really gross, like pukey, exhausted etc... Mark was at Safeway grabbing some roast chicken for dinner. I was lying on the couch and it all of a sudden hit me, "Maybe I should take a pregnancy test, just in case." So, Mark grabbed a test and I took it as soon as he came home. There were 2 bright red lines immediately. I yelled for Mark to come into the bathroom. After 8 years of trying and probably close to 100 tests, you don't believe your eyes. Mark confirmed what I had seen, and we just kind of stared at each other. I didn't want to trust just one test, so Mark went and got 2 more tests. While he was gone, I phoned the nurses health line and spoke with a pharmacist. I wanted to check that the medicine I was taking wouldn't give me a false positive. The pharmacist confirmed that wouldn't happen, so when Mark arrived with the other tests and they were both immediately positive, we phoned my sister and parents to come over.
Leah wouldn't just come over, so I had to make it seem like Mark and I had something serious to talk about with the family. She later told us that she thought Mark had terminal cancer.
When Leah got to our house, she was visibly tense & anxious. She said, 'whats going on? I hate things like this. Are you pregnant?' When I held up the test, she grabbed it and we lost it!! 8 years of emotions! lol! When mom & dad arrived, we sat them down and gave them each a wrapped pregnancy test labeled 'Grandpa' & 'Grandma'....mom went into full blown hysteria....frantically ripping at the wrapping & screaming 'Oh please, oh please....don't be joking!!!' After a lot of hugs, tears and screaming, we started talking about how to announce it and when to tell people. Mark really didn't want to tell people until we had the doctors confirmation, which I totally agreed with. But Mom & Dad were leaving for PG on the Monday, so they wouldn't be here when we told the church. So I phoned the hospital to see if I could come in to do a test. They said that unless it was an emergency, there was no way. But my dad wouldn't take no for an answer, so he went to the hospital to speak with the doctor. When he got there, he burst into tears again, which caused the doctor to think that somebody had died. But when dad finally got it out, the doctor agreed to let me come and take the test. So, we piled into the car and went to the hospital for our 4th test of the night. I took the test and then Mark and I had to wait in the back room, while Mom and Dad waited in the waiting room. The doctor came in and started telling us about taking prenatal vitamins and not taking part in contact sports. I was like, so........'Oh yes, its a positive positive' he said, in his cute little voice! I could have squeezed him! He said congratulations, told us that a pregnant woman is a healthy woman & that I needed to get rest & not be stressed. I just couldn't stop grinning. I thought I would be a blubbering mess, but my cheeks just ached from smiling! Was this really happening? Were we really going to have a baby, after all this time?? It was so incredible to me, that I just kind of entered this dazed happiness, that I still haven't gotten out of.

We are now celebrating the faithfulness of God. His perfect answer. His incredible grace!

6 comments:

  1. OH I am so happy, excited, in awe...what a wonderful thing God has done:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruthie - you are going to be the greatest mom of alll time... and Mark the greatest daddy... Matt and I are SOO thrilled for you guys - and just so blessed by HIS faithfulness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there Ruthie. Your story kind of sounds a little like mine. However, it was 12 years until I got pregnant. I figured it out the first month I missed my period however, as I was 36 I thought that I would wait a bit and not say anything just in case I was going through a "change". When 3 more weeks went by and no period I went to the doctor and asked for a pregnancy test. I didn't even think to do one at home. I figured if I wasn't pregnant then something else was wrong.

    We too kept it a secret until I could tell my parents in person. They had moved from PG in early 2004 and this was Oct 2004. We were going down to Oliver for Christmas that year and we decided to wait until then to tell them. I gave them a little photo album and a Grandparenting is so much fun card. My dad opened the gift while my mom opened the card. My dad was oh how nice a book to put the grandkiddies pictures in. My sister had 3 kids and my brother 2. Then all of a sudden he looked up and said -- ARE YOU PREGNANT?? My mom was still opening the card. I think that inside she was probably freaking out like your mom - saying OH PLEASE, OH PLEASE. She opened the card and inside I put. This is a book to put all the pictures that my mommy and daddy will be sending you. I will arrive sometime in June 2005.

    I absolutely loved being pregnant. My little man is now 4.5 years old and I wouldn't trade him for anything.

    Congrats on your little one. I remember all our fun together when you were little.

    Love, Louisa (Weeza)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just cried reading this. I am so happy for you Ruth. You have no idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful post...congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard the story like 3 times and told it many more times and yet I still got weepy reading it again!

    ReplyDelete