Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Broken Parent

Hello friends and family,

Those that know me the best know that I am constantly worrying. I'm like an Old English Granny rolled up into the body of a stunningly handsome twenty-nine year old. Ha ha ha ha, I made myself laugh on that one. What I really want to say is this. Since Ruth has gotten preggers I have gone into overdrive worrying about the baby. Everything Ruth does I question as to whether its good for the baby or not. I nag her about everything. I told her she shouldn't do hairspray or wear under-arm deodorant. I make sure she is eating properly. I'm pretty sure that she is getting a little frustrated. I can be overwhelming to say the least. I was reading an article the other day on parenting. The writer talked about the need of parents to be perfect and feeling like failures as parents if they don't measure up to their own standards. I can see myself falling into that category. I can see myself raising the bar so high for my kids and my expectations of how my children should turn out that I can only be disappointed. The writer of the article concluded that the best thing we can do is lead and point them to Jesus. You see I am a broken person. I will never be the perfect parent. I'm going to mess up. I'm going to fail miserably. But there is one thing I can do and that's lead them to Jesus who was broken for me and broken for them. I have this need to be in control. But I am constantly reminded that God is in control. I don't have to worry because Jesus' father holds me, my wife, and my baby in the palm of his hand.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Mark, I have a husband who I always call "Granny"...kind of funny that you should mention that in your description. Scott is a huge worrier...sometimes it's wayyyy to overboard and when I was pregnant he was the biggest worry wart....but, it's who he is, and I am so grateful that I have someone in my life that frets, stresses and worries. I'm the more mellow one in our relationship so we balance each other out perfectly.
    As for parenting, my husband is the most amazing father ever. His priority is his family. His boys know that he has high expectations,but the bottom line is if they make a mistake, it's okay.
    Parenting is a huge, scary step. It would be abnormal for you not to have questions or doubts...but I really think this baby is going to be blessed beyond measure...
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! I am a worrier by nature as well so I can totally relate! I needed to hear the part "But there is one thing I can do and that's lead them to Jesus who was broken for me and broken for them". That is so true. Thank you Mark for being transparent and sharing your heart! You are going to be an awsome Dad...we have no doubts about that at all!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here,here! Jenny and Christy already said all the good stuff so I'll just agree :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post Mark!! Thanks for sharing your struggles and your revelations!!!

    ReplyDelete